What’s the Best Breakfast for Weight Loss?
by Court under Diet
I’ll give you a hint, you won’t see it in this picture.
Eating the right breakfast can make or break your efforts at weight loss. To say it more accurately, eating the wrong breakfast can completely sabotage your weight loss. Your body looks how it looks and acts how it acts because of many hormones. Some of those hormones regulate your body composition – the amount of your body that’s made up of lean things like muscle, and the amount of your body that’s fat. Breakfast plays a huge role in the amount and type of fat regulating hormones in your body.
Let’s Start With the Worst Breakfast for Weight Loss
If you’re interested in losing weight, the absolute worst thing you can do to yourself is to start the day with any combination of flour and sugar. Ironically, this is the most common combo that people eat for breakfast. There are a lot of foods that contain this combo, in fact most breakfast foods contain them. Here are a few examples:
- Sugar Cereal (or cereal that you add sugar to) – this one tricks people for obvious reasons. It seems like a pretty healthy breakfast but the reality is that sugar cereal has the same ingredients as a piece of cake or a doughnut. Even whole grain cereal with added sugar is terrible for your weight loss efforts.
- French Toast
- Toast w/ Jam or Jelly
- Oatmeal w/ Added Sugar
- Cinnamon Buns/Rolls
- Biscuits/Gravy/Orange Juice
Eating any of these foods for breakfast will set up your body hormonally to store fat – not to lose it. For this reason, refined carbs and sugars are the first two on my list of foods that make us fat.
Many people believe that they will lose fat as long as they keep their calories down. This is not the case. If you eat a low calorie diet made up of these foods, you will lose muscle while storing a small amount of fat. You might lose a little weight, but you will definitely look worse and have more fat than you did before.
On top of all of that, eating these foods for breakfast destroys your appetite control. It will make you many times hungrier during the day than you would be if you didn’t eat these foods. This generally leaves people depressed that they don’t have more self control. They believe that the problem is how much they eat but the problem is what they eat. It’s impossible to control the amount you eat if you are constantly fighting with your body.
The Best Breakfast for Weight Loss
After 10 years of struggling with my weight and appetite, I fortunately have found a breakfast that works great for me. I eat lean meats and healthy fats for breakfast. There are a lot of different ways to get this combination:
- Omega-3 Enriched Eggs – these alone are a decent breakfast food. I used to eat six eggs for breakfast every morning. I eventually decided that I didn’t need to eat that much fat for breakfast and toned it down to three eggs and three egg whites on the days I eat this. That said, I was still able to lose weight eating six eggs every morning!
- Chicken and Avocado – not something that most people would eat for breakfast BUT I would much rather eat something that helps me to control my body than conform to what people think breakfast food should be.
- Steak and Eggs – stick to leaner cuts of steak and don’t have more than three egg yolks
If I’m craving something sweet with my breakfast, I’ll add a few strawberries or another kind of fruit to one of my normal breakfast meals. This doesn’t happen very often anymore because I’m mostly sugar-addiction-free at this point.
Eating this type of food for breakfast drastically changes your body hormonally because you don’t start your day with the massive blood sugar spike that comes from eating flour and sugar. This will give you a LOT more self control during the day and on top of that, it will help you to burn more fat as you go through your daily routine.
If you have always eaten ‘bad foods’ from the sugar/flour list for breakfast, chances are high that your body is used to running on sugar most of the time. If that’s the case, it may have ‘forgotten’ how to properly run on fat. If your body is that way, it may have a difficult time burning fat, even when you’re exercising. For you, making this switch will be especially important.
Science backs up what I’m saying in this lesson, but you need to test these ideas for yourself. I would recommend doing a simple experiment for four or five days. Simply change what you eat for breakfast. Takes notes on how you feel during the rest of the day. Your body might freak out for a day or two. It may be fighting to break the addiction to sugars. After a few days, however, you will find that your appetite will drastically change and your hormones will help your body to start losing fat.
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day for healthy weight loss, but it isn’t the only meal. A few weeks ago I wrote a lesson called How to Make Healthy Meal Plans to Lose Weight. I would highly recommend using it to gain control of your diet. It takes work to be in control but once you are, you can drastically change your body.
- Healthy Weight Loss 101: How To Lose Weight Quickly
- The 3 Best Kettlebell Exercises for Weight Loss
- Appetite Control – The First Pillar Of Fat Loss
- How To Lose Weight In Two Weeks
- How To Make Healthy Meal Plans To Lose Weight
Leave a Reply